With some professional experience, you will join the Saana team managing the Trade and Investment Advocacy Fund (TAF2+), the UK Government’s flagship programme supporting developing country participation in international trade negotiations. Based at our London office and with occasional overseas travel you will be a key member of our energetic team. You will have at least 3 years’ experience working in the economic development space.
Role and Responsibilities
Acting as a Grant Officer on TAF2+, the Consultant will be responsible for contributing to the success of the programme, managing a portfolio of grants with developing countries. In this role, the Consultant will also work with AECOM, our partner company managing TAF2+. While initially it is anticipated that the Consultant will be employed full time on the TAF2+ programme, the Consultant may also contribute to other projects, as well as winning new business and Saana’s internal research programme.
Project delivery (TAF2+)
- Develop, maintain and periodically update a stakeholder map and outreach plan;
- Input into ongoing strategic framework development;
- Lead TAF2+ grant management process for selected grants, including:
- Supporting beneficiaries in the grant application and selection process;
- Manage grants through the full grant life cycle process; and
- Support outreach to and quality management of service providers undertaking the support activities;
- Support lessons learning at grant, portfolio and programme level;
- Support the periodic review of and updating of grant management processes and procedures; and
- Provide input for reporting as well as the website and other outreach material.
Business development (as appropriate)
- Identifying, mapping and developing potential new business opportunities in Saana’s target markets (DFID, WB, AfDB, EC etc).
- Draft key technical sections of proposals especially approach and methodology
- Input into Saana’s wider suite of marketing materials including Capability Statements and Expressions of Interest
Corporate research and development
- The consultant will have the opportunity to conduct/manage research related to practical issues in trade, regional integration and aid effectiveness.
- Contribute to corporate planning and development initiatives
- Develop and maintain relations with a range of clients, associate consultants and partner organisations
Qualifications and expertise profile
We are looking for an enthusiastic, committed professional who is able to work with limited supervision. You should be a self-starter and able to work under pressure.
You will have a good technical knowledge of current issues and thinking in trade and development, and a willingness to build your expertise in several of the following areas:
- Aid-for-Trade programmes
- trade policy
- trade negotiations
- trade in services
- trade facilitation/logistics
- political economy
- trade and gender
- programme design and appraisal
- monitoring, evaluation and impact
You should also have a strong understanding of:
- the international trade architecture and especially the WTO and RECs in Africa and Asia.
- Project Cycle Management and the ability to deliver at all stages, including design, implementation and evaluation.
- Institutional development and capacity building.
Prior experience and technical skills in private sector development, investment promotion, training and capacity building would also be a significant advantage.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (economics, development, international relations or similar) and preferably a post-graduate qualification.
- Approximately three years relevant work experience gained in a development environment.
- Strong project management skills including the ability to work in teams to deliver high quality work on time and to budget.
- Strong IT and communication skills.
- A right to work in the UK.
- Excellent communication skills including fluency in English with excellent writing skills with additional languages considered an advantage.
What we offer:
- A salary of £25k-£35k pa, based on experience, plus contributions to pension scheme
- Structured bonus based on individual and corporate performance.
- Opportunities for promotion within a clear career development structure.
- Opportunity to participate actively in the Saana Institute research programme.
- A dynamic but supportive working environment that encourages personal development.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 May 2018